Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Sunday, February 01, 2015

LISTEN TO THE COLD: A ONCE-YOUNG EDITOR REMEMBERS

by Kate Bernadette Benedict





 “I’ve just visited Rod McKuen!”
 “Who’s he?” asked the other passenger
and the elevator took us down.


Author's note: As a young book editor, Rod McKuen was assigned to me and I helped bring out two of his books (The Power Bright and Shining and The Beautiful Strangers).  In a way, the situation pained me, for my preference, even then, was for poetry of a more literary type ... but still, this was Rod of the Lovable Persona, so I was torn between warring impulses of wanting to dismiss him and wanting him to read aloud in that husky voice, just to me.


Kate Bernadette Benedict lives and writes in Riverdale, NY.